Re: When should be advocate external projects? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: When should be advocate external projects?
Date
Re: When should be advocate external projects?
Re: When should be advocate external projects?
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> There has been a lot of back and forth about when we (as a community) should
> advocate external projects as well as where we should advocate external
> projects. It seems the more advocacy minded individuals would like to be
> more inclusive whilst the -hackers and old school folks don't want to bother
> with it at all (this is not exclusive, I know there are exceptions).
>
> I think we need to come up with some guidelines. I have my own ideas of what
> those should be:
>
>         * Must be released under an OSI approved license
>         * Must have source downloadable without barrier (no registration for
> example)
>         * Must have a way to file bug reports
>
> There are others but they may be controversial so I will leave them for now.
>
> One example that I just recently looked at was PgBadger. PgBader is
> primarily developed by Dalibo but:
>
>         * It is released under an OSI approved license
>         * Has source downloadable without barrier
>         * Has a way to file bug reports
>         * Has an open mailing list
>         * An explicit link to how to contribute
>
> It does make it a point of highlighting Dalibo as the support provider but
> it also links directly to:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support
>
> And shows those professionals respect too.[1]

I like the idea of having a page on postgresql.org where we say "here
are a list of other great open source tools that you should check out
and use with PostgreSQL".  It could be grouped by category.  I think a
"drivers" category would be really good - like why should people have
to use Google to find a node.js driver for PostgreSQL?  And there can
be a "replication" category that lists pglogical, Slony, Londiste,
Bucardo.  And a "middleware" category for pgpool and pgbouncer.

There may be some cases where it's not clear whether something
qualifies, so, yeah, we might need some guidelines for that.  But I'm
+1 on the concept.  I am -1 on promoting pglogical over every other
thing out there but I am +1 for promoting it as one of several
widely-used replication tools for PostgreSQL.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company