When should be advocate external projects? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject When should be advocate external projects?
Date
Re: When should be advocate external projects?  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: When should be advocate external projects?  (Shane Ambler <pgsql@Sheeky.Biz>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Hello,

There has been a lot of back and forth about when we (as a community)
should advocate external projects as well as where we should advocate
external projects. It seems the more advocacy minded individuals would
like to be more inclusive whilst the -hackers and old school folks don't
want to bother with it at all (this is not exclusive, I know there are
exceptions).

I think we need to come up with some guidelines. I have my own ideas of
what those should be:

    * Must be released under an OSI approved license
    * Must have source downloadable without barrier (no registration for
example)
    * Must have a way to file bug reports

There are others but they may be controversial so I will leave them for now.

One example that I just recently looked at was PgBadger. PgBader is
primarily developed by Dalibo but:

    * It is released under an OSI approved license
    * Has source downloadable without barrier
    * Has a way to file bug reports
    * Has an open mailing list
    * An explicit link to how to contribute

It does make it a point of highlighting Dalibo as the support provider
but it also links directly to:

http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support

And shows those professionals respect too.[1]

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

1. http://dalibo.github.io/pgbadger/

                         +1-503-667-4564