Re: When should be advocate external projects? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: When should be advocate external projects?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 05/12/2016 07:09 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> There may be some cases where it's not clear whether something
> qualifies, so, yeah, we might need some guidelines for that.  But I'm
> +1 on the concept.  I am -1 on promoting pglogical over every other

Agreed except under this definition:

No other open source tool provides the solution.

Right now for logical replication that uses the logical decoding API
that PostgreSQL provides there is exactly "1" solution and that is
PgLogical. That doesn't mean their aren't other Logical Replication
solutions (Slony for example) but nobody in their right mind can say
that Slony is the better choice for "standard master/slave" replication.

And FTR: I am not saying Slony is a bad tool, it isn't but the services
it provides are far beyond what the average person would be looking for
if they were considering something like PgLogical.

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564