Re: increasing the default WAL segment size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: increasing the default WAL segment size
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Another issue is that many users are coming from database products that
> have significant performance hits in switching WAL files so they might
> be tempted to set very high segment sizes in inappropriate cases.

Well, we have some hit there, too.  It may be smaller, but it's
certainly not zero.

I'm generally in favor of preventing people from setting ridiculous
values for settings; we shouldn't let somebody set the WAL segment
size to 8kB or something silly like that.  But it's more important to
enable legitimate uses than it is to prohibit inappropriate uses.  If
a particular value of a particular setting may be legitimately useful
to some users, we should allow it, even if some other user might
choose that value under false assumptions.

In short, let's eschew nannyism.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company