Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: [HACKERS] PSQL commands:\quit_if, \quit_unless) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: [HACKERS] PSQL commands:\quit_if, \quit_unless)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com> wrote:
> I could bulk up the error message on if/elif like such:
>
> if: true, executing commands.
> if: false, ignoring commands until next \else, \elif, or \endif.
> if: error, ignoring all commands until next \endif
> else: true, executing commands
> else: false, ignoring commands until next \endif
> else: error, ignoring commands until next \endif
> endif: now executing commands
> endif: ignoring commands until next [\else, [\elif [, \endif]]
>
> Basically, I'd tailor the message to as closely reflect what is possible for
> the user at this moment.

I think that this is kinda hairy.  When I see "endif: now executing
commands", my reaction is "oh crap, which commands are you
executing?".  What you really mean is that future command are expected
to be executed unless things change (for example, due to another \if
in the meantime), but somebody might have a different interpretation
of these messages.

I think that the messages you are proposing for "if" and "else" are
reasonable, but for "endif" I would just say "endif: exiting if" or
something like that.  If the user doesn't know to what state they are
returning, c'est la vie.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company