Re: max_parallel_degree > 0 for 9.6 beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: max_parallel_degree > 0 for 9.6 beta
Date
Re: max_parallel_degree > 0 for 9.6 beta  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: max_parallel_degree > 0 for 9.6 beta  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Gavin Flower
>> <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
>>> Why not 4?  As most processors now have at least 4 physical cores, & surely
>>> it be more likely to flush out race conditions.
>
>> Because if we did that, then it's extremely likely that people would
>> end up writing queries that are faster only if workers are present,
>> and then not get any workers.
>
> Is that because max_worker_processes is only 8 by default?  Maybe we
> need to raise that, at least for beta purposes?

I'm not really in favor of that.  I mean, almost all of our default
settings are optimized for running PostgreSQL on, for example, a
Raspberry Pi 2, so it would seem odd to suddenly swing the other
direction and assume that there are more than 8 unused CPU cores.  It
doesn't make sense to me to roll out settings in beta that we wouldn't
be willing to release with if they work out.  That's why, honestly, I
would prefer max_parallel_degree=1, which I think would be practical
for many real-world deployments.  max_parallel_degree=2 is OK.  Beyond
that, we're just setting people up to fail, I think.  Higher settings
should probably only be used on substantial hardware, and not
everybody has that.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company