Re: [BUGS] Concurrent ALTER SEQUENCE RESTART Regression - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [BUGS] Concurrent ALTER SEQUENCE RESTART Regression
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> But by the same token surely we don't want to do
>> CatalogUpdateIndexes() while holding the buffer lock either; mutual
>> exclusion needs to be managed at some higher level, using, say, a
>> heavyweight tuple lock.
>
> Right, I don't want that to happen - I think it means we need a proper
> lock here, but Peter seems to be against that for reasons I don't
> understand.  It's what Michael had suggested in:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqRev_wK4k39hQBpQZRQ17v29guxfobnnmTYT_-hUU67BA%40mail.gmail.com

Yes, I didn't understand Peter's objection, either.  It's true that
there are multiple levels of locks here, but if we've got things
failing that used to work, then we've not got all the right ones.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company