Re: strange parallel query behavior after OOM crashes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: strange parallel query behavior after OOM crashes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 8:17 PM, Neha Khatri <nehakhatri5@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem here seem to be the change in the max_parallel_workers value
> while the parallel workers are still under execution. So this poses two
> questions:
>
> 1. From usecase point of view, why could there be a need to tweak the
> max_parallel_workers exactly at the time when the parallel workers are at
> play.
> 2. Could there be a restriction on tweaking of max_parallel_workers while
> the parallel workers are at play? At least do not allow setting the
> max_parallel_workers less than the current # of active parallel workers.

Well, that would be letting the tail wag the dog.  The maximum value
of max_parallel_workers is only 1024, and what we're really worried
about here is seeing a value near PG_UINT32_MAX, which leaves a lot of
daylight.  How about just creating a #define that's used by guc.c as
the maximum for the GUC, and here we assert that we're <= that value?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company