Re: increasing the default WAL segment size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: increasing the default WAL segment size
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Yeah, and it's also related to the point Josh Berkus was making about
> clusters with little activity.

Right.

> Does it work to set the minimum to one WAL segment, i.e. 64MB?  guc.c
> has a hardcoded minimum of 2, but I couldn't find an explanation for it.

Well, I think that when you overrun the end of one segment, you're
never going to be able to wrap around to the start of the same
segment; you're going to get sucked into needing another file.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company