Re: test_shm_mq failing on anole (was: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: test_shm_mq failing on anole (was: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> wrote:
> I'm still seeing trouble with test_shm_mq on mipsel (9.4 rc1):

Boy, that test has certainly caught its share of bugs, and not in the
places I would have expected.

The last round of wrestling with this had to do with working around
HP-UX behavior that differs from Linux.  So it seems like this is
likely to be an altogether different failure than what we saw on
anole.

> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=postgresql-9.4&arch=mipsel&ver=9.4~rc1-1&stamp=1416547779
>
> mips had the problem as well in the past (9.4 beta3):
>
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=postgresql-9.4&arch=mips&ver=9.4~beta3-3&stamp=1413607370
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=postgresql-9.4&arch=mips&ver=9.4~beta3-1&stamp=1412893135

For how long did was it hung before you killed it?

> The mips beta3 failures eventually went away when the build was done
> on a different machine. This was the first time the mipsel build was
> done on this build machine, so it seems the problem might well be
> caused by some subarchitecture difference.

Does it fail every time when run on a machine where it fails sometimes?

It might not be related to the subarchitecture difference in any
particularly interesting way; it could just be a race condition that
is triggered, or not, depending on the precise timing of things, which
might vary based on subarchitecture, compiler, running kernel version,
etc.

> Anyone got an idea?

Not off-hand.  :-(

--