Re: Timeline ID hexadecimal format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Timeline ID hexadecimal format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 2:16 PM Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> I don't see any advantage in converting every place where we refer to
> timelines into hex and then having to refer to things like timeline
> 1A. It doesn't seem any more intuitive to someone understanding what's
> going on than referring to timeline 26.

The point, though, is that the WAL files we have on disk already say
1A. If we change the log messages to match, that's easier for users.
We could alternatively change the naming convention for WAL files on
disk, but that feels like a much bigger compatibility break.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com