Re: hyrax vs. RelationBuildPartitionDesc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: hyrax vs. RelationBuildPartitionDesc
Date
Re: hyrax vs. RelationBuildPartitionDesc
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 12:42 PM Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I remember going over this code's memory allocation strategy a bit to
> avoid the copy while not incurring potential leaks CacheMemoryContext;
> as I recall, my idea was to use two contexts, one of which is temporary
> and used for any potentially leaky callees, and destroyed at the end of
> the function, and the other contains the good stuff and is reparented to
> CacheMemoryContext at the end.  So if you have any accidental leaks,
> they don't affect a long-lived context.  You have to be mindful of not
> calling leaky code when you're using the permanent one.

Well, that assumes that the functions which allocate the good stuff do
not also leak, which seems a bit fragile.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company