Re: needless complexity in StartupXLOG - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: needless complexity in StartupXLOG
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 9:18 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW, by the way, I complained that the variable name "promoted" is a
> bit confusing.  It's old name was fast_promoted, which means that fast
> promotion is being *requsted* and ongoing.  On the other hand the
> current name "promoted" still means "(fast=non-fallback) promotion is
> ongoing" so there was a conversation as the follows.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/9fdd994d-a531-a52b-7906-e1cc22701310%40oss.nttdata.com

I agree - that variable name is also not great. I am open to making
improvements in that area and in others that have been suggested on
this thread, but my immediate goal is to figure out whether anyone
objects to me committing the posted patch. If nobody comes up with a
reason why it's a bad idea in the next few days, I'll plan to move
ahead with it.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com