Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 11:24 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 11:00:47AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > Anyone see a flaw in that analysis?
>
> I am still waiting to hear the purpose of this preservation.  As long as
> you don't apply the patch, I guess I will just stop asking.

You make it sound like I didn't answer that question the last time you
asked it, but I did.[1] I went back to the previous thread and found
that, in fact, there's at least one email *from you* appearing to
endorse that concept for reasons unrelated to TDE[2] and another where
you appear to agree that it would be useful for TDE to do it.[3]
Stephen Frost also wrote up his discussion during the Unconference and
some of his reasons for liking the idea.[4]

If you've changed your mind about this being a good idea, or if you no
longer think it's useful without TDE, that's fine. Everyone is
entitled to change their opinion. But then please say that straight
out. It baffles me why you're now acting as if it hasn't been
discussed when it clearly has been, and both you and I were
participants in that discussion.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+Tgmob7msyh3VRaY87USr22UakvvSyy4zBaQw2AO2CfoUD3rA@mail.gmail.com
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210601140949.GC22012@momjian.us
[3] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210527210023.GJ5646@momjian.us