Re: [HACKERS] Add Roman numeral conversion to to_number - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Add Roman numeral conversion to to_number
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Oliver Ford <ojford@gmail.com> wrote:
> The formatting.c file specifies it as a TODO, so I thought implementing it
> would be worthwhile. As there is a to_roman conversion having it the other
> way is good for completeness.

Huh, didn't know about that.  Well, I'm not direly opposed to this or
anything, just not sure that it's worth spending a lot of time on.

> The existing int_to_roman code goes up to 3999 so this patch is consistent
> with that. I could extend both to handle Unicode values for large numbers?

Well, following what the existing code does is usually a good place to
start -- whether you want to try to extend it is up to you.  I'm not
very interested in Roman numeral handling personally, so you might
want to wait for some opinions from others.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company