Re: Performance degradation in commit 6150a1b0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Performance degradation in commit 6150a1b0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 11:22 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I also think that this particular issue can be closed.  However I felt
> that the observation related to performance variation is still present as I
> never need to perform prewarm or anything else to get consistent results
> during my work in 9.5 or early 9.6.  Also, Andres, Alexander and myself are
> working on similar observation (run-to-run performance variation) in a
> nearby thread [1].

Yeah.  My own measurements do not seem to support the idea that the
variance recently increased, but I haven't tested incredibly widely.
It may be that whatever is causing the variance is something that used
to be hidden by locking bottlenecks and now no longer is.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company