Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM` - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 8:55 AM Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@toroid.org> wrote:
> Yes, "externally_managed_configuration" raises far more questions than
> it answers. "enable_alter_system" is clearer in terms of what to expect
> when you set it. "enable_alter_system_command" is rather long, but even
> better in that it is specific enough to not promise anything about not
> allowing superusers to change the configuration some other way.

It was previously suggested that we shouldn't start the GUC name with
"enable," since those are all planner GUCs currently. It's sort of a
silly precedent, but we have it, so that's why I proposed "allow"
instead.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com