Re: Proposal: Implement failover on libpq connect level. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Proposal: Implement failover on libpq connect level.
Date
Re: Proposal: Implement failover on libpq connect level.  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Re: Proposal: Implement failover on libpq connect level.  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 4:00 AM, Shulgin, Oleksandr
<oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:
> I believe that having a floating IP for the master is much more practical
> approach and it doesn't require any patch to libpq or modification of the
> client connection settings.

I think that's a great approach if all the machines are on the same
subnet.  If they are in different datacenters, it doesn't work.

The amount of opposition to this feature is remarkable considering
that it's available in Oracle, SQL Server, MongoDB, Cassandra, and
MySQL.  See for example:

http://docs.mongodb.org/manual/reference/connection-string/
https://datastax.github.io/python-driver/getting_started.html

This is a small patch with minimal to no downside implementing a
feature that is present in most or all of the major competing
products.  We're really doing ourselves a disservice if we reject it.
I think it would be far better to progress to talking about what
design we'd be comfortable with, rather than kidding ourselves that a
feature that everyone else has and which somebody has taken the time
to implement (thus, obviously it has value for them) and which has
been discussed to general approval at PGCon developer meetings and
which has been endorsed on this thread by three committers is somehow
something that nobody really needs.  Seriously?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company