Re: [HACKERS] generated columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] generated columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 10:26 PM, Peter Eisentraut
>> Does the SQL spec mention the matter? How do other systems
>> handle such cases?
>
> In Oracle you get the same overflow error.

That seems awful.  If a user says "SELECT * FROM tab" and it fails,
how are they supposed to recover, or even understand what the problem
is?  I think we should really try to at least generate an errcontext
here:

ERROR:  integer out of range
CONTEXT: while generating virtual column "b"

And maybe a hint, too, like "try excluding this column".

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company