Re: pg_stat_io for the startup process - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pg_stat_io for the startup process
Date
Re: pg_stat_io for the startup process  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 2:39 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> I'm mildly inclined to not consider it a bug, given that this looks to have
> been true for other stats for quite a while? But it does still seem worth
> improving upon - I'd make the consideration when to apply the relevant patches
> depend on the complexity. I'm worried we'd need to introduce sufficiently new
> infrastructure that 16 doesn't seem like a good idea. Let's come up with a
> patch and judge it after?

ISTM that it's pretty desirable to do something about this. If the
process isn't going to report statistics properly, at least remove it
from the view. If it can be made to report properly, that would be
even better. But shipping a new view with information that will nearly
always be zeroes instead of real data seems like a bad call, even if
there are existing cases that have the same problem.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com