Re: Unhappy about API changes in the no-fsm-for-small-rels patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Unhappy about API changes in the no-fsm-for-small-rels patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 12:05 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > ... I guess you could incur the overhead repeatedly if the relation starts
> > out at 1 block, grows to 4, is vacuumed back down to 1, lather, rinse,
> > repeat, but is that actually realistic?
>
> While I've not studied the patch, I assumed that once a relation has an
> FSM it won't disappear.  Making it go away again if the relation gets
> shorter seems both fairly useless and a promising source of bugs.

Right, I think so too.  That's not what I as going for, though.  I was
trying to discuss a scenario where the relation repeatedly grows,
never reaching the size at which the FSM would be created, and then is
repeatedly truncated again.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company