Re: group locking: incomplete patch, just for discussion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: group locking: incomplete patch, just for discussion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> OK, I think I'm happy with this as a general point.

Cool!

> How will we automatically test this code?

Good question.  I can see two possible approaches:

1. We write a test_group_locking harness along the lines of
test_shm_mq and test_decoding and put that in contrib.

2. We wait until higher-level facilities built on top of this are
available and get regression test coverage of this code via those
higher-level modules.

Personally, I can't imagine debugging this code without writing some
kind of test harness that only does locking; I don't want my locking
bugs to be mixed with my planner and executor bugs.  But I could go
either way on actually putting that code in contrib.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company