Re: relfrozenxid may disagree with row XIDs after 1ccc1e05ae - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: relfrozenxid may disagree with row XIDs after 1ccc1e05ae
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Sun, Mar 3, 2024 at 7:07 PM Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> I figure Matthias's upthread theory is more likely than not to hold.  If it
> does hold, commit 1ccc1e05ae created a new corruption route.  Hence, I'm
> adding a v17 open item for commit 1ccc1e05ae.

I need some help understanding what's going on here. I became aware of
this thread because I took a look at the open items list.

This email seems to have branched off of the thread for bug #17257,
reported 2021-10-29. The antecedent of "Matthias's upthread theory" is
unclear to me. These emails seem like the most relevant ones:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEze2Wj7O5tnM_U151Baxr5ObTJafwH%3D71_JEmgJV%2B6eBgjL7g%40mail.gmail.com
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEze2WhxhEQEx%2Bc%2BCXoDpQs1H1HgkYUK4BW-hFw5_eQxuVWqRw%40mail.gmail.com
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20240106202413.e5%40rfd.leadboat.com

But I'm having a hard time piecing it all together. The general
picture seems to be that pruning and vacuum disagree about whether a
particular tuple is prunable; before 1ccc1e05ae, that caused the retry
loop in heap_page_prune() to retry forever. Now, it causes
relfrozenxid to be set to too new a value, which is a data-corruption
scenario. If that's right, I'm slightly miffed to find this being
labeled as an open item, since that makes it seem like 1ccc1e05ae
didn't create any new problem but only caused existing defects in the
GlobalVisTest machinery to have different consequences. Perhaps it's
all for the best, though. It's kind of embarrassing that we haven't
fixed whatever the problem is here yet.

But what exactly is the problem, and what's the fix? In the first of
the emails linked above, Matthias argues that the problem is that
GlobalVisState->maybe_needed can move backward. Peter Geoghegan seems
to agree with that here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAH2-Wzk_L7Z7LREHTtg5vY08eeWdnHO70m98eWx4U1uwvW%3D0sA%40mail.gmail.com

And Peter seems to have been trying to make sense of Andres's remarks
here, which I think are saying the same thing:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210616192202.6q63mu66h4uyn343%40alap3.anarazel.de

So it seems like Matthias, Peter, and Andres all agree that
GlobalVisState->maybe_needed going backward is bad and causes this
problem. Unfortunately, I don't understand the mechanism.
vacuumlazy.c's LVRelState has this:

        /* VACUUM operation's cutoffs for freezing and pruning */
        struct VacuumCutoffs cutoffs;
        GlobalVisState *vistest;
        /* Tracks oldest extant XID/MXID for setting relfrozenxid/relminmxid */
        TransactionId NewRelfrozenXid;
        MultiXactId NewRelminMxid;

This looks scary, because we've got an awful lot of different
variables serving rather closely-related purposes. cutoffs actually
contains three separate XID/MXID pairs; GlobalVisTest contains XIDs;
and then we've got another XID/MXID pair in the form of
NewRel{frozenXid,minMxid}. It's certainly understandable how there
could be a bug here: you just need whichever of these things
ultimately goes into relfrozenxid to disagree with whichever of these
things actually controls the pruning behavior. But it is not clear to
me exactly which of these things disagree with each other in exactly
what way, and, perhaps as a result, it is also not clear to my why
preventing GlobalVisTest->maybe_needed from moving backward would fix
anything.

Can someone explain, or point me to the relevant previous email?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com