Re: [BUG] pg_basebackup from disconnected standby fails - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [BUG] pg_basebackup from disconnected standby fails
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 2:06 AM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> But yes, thinking *harder*, I agree that updating minRecoveryPoint
> just after the checkpoint record would be fine and removes the need to
> have more WAL than necessary in for a backup taken from a standby.
> That will also prevent cases where minRecoveryPoint is older than the
> recovery start point. On top of that the cost of an extra call to
> UpdateControlFile() looks cheap considering that CreateRestartPoint()
> is called only by the checkpointer or at shutdown.
>
> Just coding things this solution gives roughtly the attached? The TAP
> test passes btw.

I think that still leaves a race condition, right?  It's got to be
part of the SAME control file update that advances the redo pointer.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company