Re: BUG #6650: CPU system time utilization rising few times a day - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: BUG #6650: CPU system time utilization rising few times a day
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 5:09 AM,  <a.krawiec@focustelecom.pl> wrote:

> Bug reference: =A0 =A0 =A06650
> Logged by: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Andrzej Krawiec
> Email address: =A0 =A0 =A0a.krawiec@focustelecom.pl
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.11
> Operating system: =A0 CentOS 6.0 - 2.6.32-220.13.1.el6.x86_64
>
> Primarily checked on PG 8.4.9 (same OS), problem also occurs. Few times a
> day I get a situation where PostgreSQL stops running for 1-2 minutes. CPU=
 is
> running 99% in systime. IO is OK, only interrupts are extremely high (over
> 100k). System operates on 2 x Xeon 10 Core, 128 GB RAM, raid 10. Does any=
one
> have any idea?

Try using strace to figure out where all that system time is going.
Sometimes the '-c' option is helpful.

It might also be helpful to connect gdb to the process and get a
backtrace, then continue, stop it again, get another backtrace.
Repeat that a few times and send us the backtrace that occurs most
frequently.

Is it a regular backend that is eating all that CPU time, or an
autovacuum worker?

--=20
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company