Re: Initdb failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Initdb failure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 2:22 AM Peter Eisentraut
> I think if you want to make this more robust, get rid of the fixed-size
> array, use dynamic allocation with PQExpBuffer, and let the operating
> system complain if it doesn't like the directory name length.

Agreed, but I think we should just do nothing.  To actually fix this
in general, we'd have to get rid of every instance of MAXPGPATH in the
source tree:

[rhaas pgsql]$ git grep MAXPGPATH | wc -l
     611

If somebody feels motivated to spend that amount of effort improving
this, I will stand back and cheer from the sidelines, but that's gonna
be a LOT of work for a problem that, as Tom says, is probably not
really affecting very many people.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company