Re: GIN improvements part 1: additional information - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: GIN improvements part 1: additional information
Date
Re: GIN improvements part 1: additional information  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> It seems we've all but decided that we'll require reindexing GIN indexes in
> 9.4.

I thought the consensus in Ottawa was strongly against that.  I'm not
aware that anyone has subsequently changed their position on the
topic.  Bruce is right to point out that we've done such things before
and can therefore do it again, but just because we have the technical
means to do it doesn't make it good policy.

That having been said, if we do decide to break it...

> Let's take the opportunity to change some other annoyances with the
> current GIN on-disk format:

...then fixing as much as possible in one go-round is clearly a good plan.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company