Re: WIP checksums patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: WIP checksums patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see one thing to be concerned about, there...
>
> I imagine it would not be a totally happy thing if the only way to switch it
> on/off was to use Slony or Londiste to replicate into a database with the
> opposite setting.  (e.g. - This implies that built-in replication may only
> replicate into a database with the identical checksum configuration.)

Sure, I agree.  I don't think it should stay that way forever, but
removing the burden of dealing with this issue from the initial commit
would likely allow that commit to happen this release cycle, perhaps
even in the next CommitFest.  And then we'd have half a loaf, which is
better than none, and we could deal with the issues of switching it on
and off as a further enhancement.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company