Re: Parallel Seq Scan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:49 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 11:54 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was thinking about this idea:
>>
>> 1. Add a parallel_aware flag to each plan.
>
> Okay, so shall we add it in generic Plan node or to specific plan nodes
> like SeqScan, IndexScan, etc.  To me, it appears that parallelism is
> a node specific property, so we should add it to specific nodes and
> for now as we are parallelising seq scan, so we can add this flag in
> SeqScan node.  What do you say?

I think it should go in the Plan node itself.  Parallel Append is
going to need a way to test whether a node is parallel-aware, and
there's nothing simpler than if (plan->parallel_aware).  That makes
life simple for EXPLAIN, too.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company