Re: Include ppc64le build type for back branches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Include ppc64le build type for back branches
Date
Re: Include ppc64le build type for back branches  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 12:24 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>> So, config.guess should be changed to include the build type for ppc64le
>>> like it is in 9.4+ branches.
>>
>> So far as I can tell from a quick troll of the git history, we have never
>> ever updated config.guess/config.sub in released branches.  I'm a bit
>> hesitant to do it in this case either: it would amount to retroactively
>> adding support for a platform, which sure sounds like a new feature.
>>
>> My vote would be to adjust your buildfarm critter to only try to build
>> 9.4 and up.
>>

> Or put what he said works in his critter's build-farm.conf in the
> config_opts section, something like:
>
>     --build=powerpc64le-unknown-linux-gnu

I don't really want to get into an argument about this, but is the
reason we haven't updated config.guess and config.sub in the past that
it presents an actual stability risk, or just that nobody's asked
before?  Because the first one is a good reason not to do it now, but
the second one isn't.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company