Re: pg_prewarm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pg_prewarm
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 5:21 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> When a relation is loaded into cache, are corresponding indexes also loaded
>>> at the same time?
>>
>> No, although if you wanted to do that you could easily do so, using a
>> query like this:
>>
>> select pg_prewarm(indexrelid, 'main', 'read', NULL, NULL) from
>> pg_index where indrelid = 'your_table_name'::regclass;
>
> Could that be included in an example?  Maybe admins are expected to
> know how to construct such queries of the cuff, but I always need to
> look it up each time which is rather tedious.

Not a bad idea.  I thought of including an "Examples" section, but it
didn't seem quite worth it for the simple case of prewarming a heap.
Might be worth it to also include this.

> In the patch:
>
> s/no special projection/no special protection/

OK, will fix.

> Thanks for putting this together.

I will confess that it was 0% altruistic.  Not having it was ruining
my day.  :-)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company