Re: Dropping PL language retains support functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Dropping PL language retains support functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On mån, 2012-03-05 at 19:37 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> The exact case is that the user was using plpython2u in PG 9.0, but
>> the PG 9.1 one-click installer only supplies plpython3u.
>
> That seems like a pretty stupid choice to me, if it's true.
>
> That doesn't address your issue, but users shouldn't be forced to drop
> their languages during an upgrade in the first place.

Hmm.  I had been thinking that it is only possible to support one or
the other, thus the need for a compatibility break at some point would
be forced, but reading the documentation, it seems that it we can ship
both as long as nobody tries to use both at the same time.  I wonder
why we didn't do that.

Dave?

--
Robert Haas