Re: Getting sorted data from foreign server - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Getting sorted data from foreign server
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 5:23 AM, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Increasing the sorting cost factor (when use_remote_estimates = false) from
> 1.1 to 1.2 makes the difference disappear.
>
> Since the startup costs for postgres_fdw are large portion of total cost,
> extra 10% of rest of the cost is comparable to 1% fuzzy limit. IMO, we
> shouldn't bother too much about it as the path costs are not much different.

My feeling is that cranking the sorting cost factor up to 20-25% would
be a good idea, just so we have less unnecessary plan churn.  I dunno
if sorting always costs that much, but if a 10% cost overhead is
really 1% because it only applies to a fraction of the cost, I don't
think that's good.  The whole point was to pick something large enough
that we wouldn't take the sorted path unless we will benefit from the
sort, and clearly that's not what happened here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company