Re: getting rid of freezing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: getting rid of freezing
Date
Re: getting rid of freezing  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> [all-visible cannot restore hint bits without FPI because of torn pages]
>>
>> I haven't yet thought about this sufficiently yet. I think we might have
>> a chance of working around this, let me ponder a bit.
>
> Yeah.  I too feel like there might be a solution.  But I don't know
> have something specific in mind, yet anyway.

One thought I had is that it might be beneficial to freeze when a page
ceases to be all-visible, rather than when it becomes all-visible.
Any operation that makes the page not-all-visible is going to emit an
FPI anyway, so we don't have to worry about torn pages in that case.
Under such a scheme, we'd have to enforce the rule that xmin and xmax
are ignored for any page that is all-visible; and when a page ceases
to be all-visible, we have to go back and really freeze the
pre-existing tuples.  I think we might be able to use the existing
all_visible_cleared/new_all_visible_cleared flags to trigger this
behavior, without adding anything new to WAL at all.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company