Re: why was the VAR 'optind' never changed in initdb? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: why was the VAR 'optind' never changed in initdb?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Clover White <mywhiteclover@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I'm debugging initdb using gdb.
>   I found that I could not step in the function getopt_long in line 2572 in
> initdb.c.
>   I also found that the value of VAR optind never be changed. VAR optind is
> always equal to 1 but how could optind be larger than the value of argc(the
> value of argc is 6) in line 2648 and 2654.

Read the man page for getopt_long.  It changes the global variable optind.

It's a silly interface, but also a long and hallowed UNIX tradition,
so we're stuck with it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company