Re: alter user/role CURRENT_USER - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: alter user/role CURRENT_USER
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Adam Brightwell
<adam.brightwell@crunchydatasolutions.com> wrote:
> Taking a step back, I'm still not sure I understand the need for this
> feature or the use case.  It seems to have started as a potential fix to an
> inconsistency between ALTER USER and ALTER ROLE syntax (which I think I
> could see some value in).  However, I think it has been taken beyond just
> resolving the inconsistency and started to cross over into feature creep.
> Is the intent simply to resolve inconsistencies between what is now an alias
> of another command?  Or is it to add new functionality?  I think the
> original proposal needs to be revisited and more time needs to be spent
> defining the scope and purpose of this patch.

+1.  I've been reading this thread with some bemusement, but couldn't
find a way articulate what you just said nearly as well as you just
said it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company