Re: incompatible pointer types with newer zlib - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: incompatible pointer types with newer zlib
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On tor, 2012-03-01 at 19:19 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I think the best fix would be to rearrange _PrintFileData() so that it
>> doesn't use FH at all.  Instead, we could define a separate
>> ArchiveHandle field IF that works more like OF, and then change
>> ahwrite() to use that.
>
> Here is a patch that might fix this.  I haven't been able to test this
> properly, so this is just from tracing the code.  It looks like
> _PrintFileData() doesn't need to use FH at all, so it could use a local
> file handle variable instead.  Could someone verify this please?

It looks like this code can be used via the undocumented -Ff option to
pg_dump.  But considering this code was added in 2000 as demonstration
code and has apparently never been documented, and considering also
that we now have the "directory" archive format which is presumably
quite a similar idea but documented and intended for production use,
maybe we should just rip out pg_backup_files/archFiles altogether.
pg_dump is crufty enough without supporting undocumented and obsolete
options for multiple decades.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company