Re: Rename max_parallel_degree? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 4:04 PM, Peter Eisentraut
> On 10/12/16 7:58 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I don't think it's wrong that the handling is done there, though.  The
>> process that is registering the background worker is well-placed to
>> check whether there are already too many, and if it does not then the
>> slot is consumed at least temporarily even if it busts the cap.  On
>> the flip side, the postmaster is the only process that is well-placed
>> to know when a background worker terminates.  The worker process
>> itself can't be made responsible for it, as you suggest below, because
>> it may never even start up in the first place (e.g. fork() returns
>> EAGAIN).  And the registering process can't be made responsible,
>> because it might die before the worker.
>
> Those are valid technical points.  I have not worked out any alternatives.
>
> I'm concerned that all this makes background workers managed by
> extensions second-class citizens.

I suppose at some level that's true, but I have a hard time getting
worked up about it.  There are always some areas where core code is
going to be privileged over non-core code, but I'd say that background
workers stand out as a shining example of enabling interesting
non-core code.  In fact, the main reason why this patch exists at all
is so that the sole in-core user of the background worker facility -
parallel query - doesn't crowd out interesting non-core uses of that
facility.  This isn't a parallel query feature; it's an
everything-that-uses-background-workers-that-is-not-parallel-query
feature.

Also, for many types of background workers, this kind of limiting
behavior isn't really useful or doesn't really make sense.  Obviously,
any application that uses exactly one background worker (or any fixed
number of background workers) doesn't need any feature similar to this
one.  Also, any application that uses a "launcher" process and some
number of per-database workers can limit the number of workers it
consumes by teaching the launcher process to enforce a limit.  These
two patterns are quite common, I think, and probably cover a lot of
what background workers might like to do.  Parallel query is a little
bit unusual in that any backend in the system might launch workers
without having any idea what workers other backends are already doing.
It seems unlikely to me that many extensions would share this pattern,
but perhaps I lack sufficient imagination.  pg_background, or any
facility derived from it, might qualify, but I can't think what else
would.

In any event, this is not written in stone.  I don't think it would be
a huge deal to change this later if we come up with something better.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company