Re: [HACKERS] logical replication syntax (was DROP SUBSCRIPTION,query cancellations and slot handling) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] logical replication syntax (was DROP SUBSCRIPTION,query cancellations and slot handling)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Petr Jelinek
<petr.jelinek@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> DROP SUBSCRIPTION mysub NODROP SLOT;

I'm pretty uninspired by this choice of syntax.  Logical replication
seems to have added a whole bunch of syntax that involves prefixing
words with "no".  In various places, there's NODROP, NOREFRESH, NOCOPY
DATA, NOCONNECT, and NOPUBLISH.  But "NO" is not an English prefix,
and there's no precedent of which I'm aware for such SQL syntax.  In
most places, we've chosen to name the option and then the user set it
to "on" or "off".  So for example you type EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, TIMING
OFF) or EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, TIMING FALSE), not EXPLAIN (ANALYZE,
NOTIMING).  I think most of the logical replication stuff could have
been done this way pretty easily, but for some reason it picked a
completely different approach.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company