Re: Combining Aggregates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Combining Aggregates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> [ rewinding to here from the detour I led us on ]
>
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 4:02 AM, David Rowley
> <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Now, there has been talk of this previously, on various threads, but I don't
>> believe any final decisions were made on how exactly it should be done. At
>> the moment I plan to make changes as follows:

Oh, one more point: is there any reason why all of this needs to be a
single (giant) patch?  I feel like the handling of internal states
could be a separate patch from the basic patch to allow partial
aggregation and aggregate-combining, and that the latter could be
committed first if we had a reasonably final version of it.  That
seems like it would be easier from a review standpoint, and might
allow more development to proceed in parallel, too.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company