Re: [HACKERS] Moving relation extension locks out of heavyweight lock manager - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Moving relation extension locks out of heavyweight lock manager
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Moving relation extension locks out of heavyweight lock manager  (Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 11:51 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Attached updated version patch. Please review it.

I went over this today; please find attached an updated version which
I propose to commit.

Changes:

- Various formatting fixes, including running pgindent.

- Various comment updates.

- Make RELEXT_WAIT_COUNT_MASK equal RELEXT_LOCK_BIT - 1 rather than
some unnecessarily smaller number.

- In InitRelExtLocks, don't bother using mul_size; we already know it
won't overflow, because we did the same thing in RelExtLockShmemSize.

- When we run into an error trying to release a lock, log it as a
WARNING and don't mark it as translatable.  Follows lock.c.  An ERROR
here probably just recurses infinitely.

- Don't bother passing OID to RelExtLockRelease.

- Reorder functions a bit for (IMHO) better clarity.

- Make UnlockRelationForExtension just use a single message for both
failure modes.  They are closely-enough related that I think that's
fine.

- Make WaitForRelationExtensionLockToBeFree complain if we already
hold an extension lock.

- In RelExtLockCleanup, clear held_relextlock.waiting.  This would've
made for a nasty bug.

- Also in that function, assert that we don't hold both a lock and a wait count.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment