Re: c language functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: c language functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Rodrigo Barboza <rodrigombufrj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I was checking inside my function the type of the second argument and
> switching between the allowed types.
> This way kind of does the same thing of many functions, doesn't it?

Sure, except that it will also call your function when someone does
my_int + text or my_int + bytea or my_int + box, which are surely a
lot less sensible.  It's probably a good idea to assume that if you
make your type work like the existing types, it's more likely to end
well than if you make it behave completely differently.

...Robert