Re: parallelism and sorting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: parallelism and sorting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 5:38 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> That sounds like a very handy thing to have.  Any idea whether it's
> possible for 9.6?  Is there any of the Parallel Seq Scan code that
> looks like it could be reused or slightly generalized for the
> implementation?

I think it would be a good idea to pattern a hypothetical Parallel
Index Scan feature after what we did in commits
ee7ca559fcf404f9a3bd99da85c8f4ea9fbc2e92 and
f0661c4e8c44c0ec7acd4ea7c82e85b265447398, which are only about 500
lines of code combined, but I don't expect any direct code reuse to be
possible.

However:

1. Parallel Seq Scan is easier because we have, at present, only one
heapam API.  Partial Index Scan is likely to be more complicated
because we need to deal not only with the indexam API but also with
the individual access methods (btree, etc.).

2. In Parallel Seq Scan, the determination of what page to scan next
isn't dependent on the contents of any page previously scanned.  In
Parallel Index Scan, it is.  Therefore, the amount of effective
parallelism is likely to be less.  This doesn't mean that trying to
parallelize things here is worthless: one backend can be fetching the
a page previously read.

3. Without Gather Merge, it figures to be mostly useless, because a
straight Gather node is order-destroying.

I'm not prepared to speculate on whether this will get done for 9.6 at
this point.  I'll say it would be nice.  :-)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company