Re: standby promotion can create unreadable WAL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: standby promotion can create unreadable WAL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 10:06 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> There's a small typo in the comment: "When find that".  I suppose that
> was meant to be "When we find that".  You end that para with "and thus
> we should not do this", but that sounds like it wouldn't matter if we
> did.  Maybe "and thus doing this would be wrong, so skip it." or
> something like that.  (Perhaps be even more specific and say "if we did
> this, we would later create an overwrite record in the wrong place,
> breaking everything")

I think that saying that someone should not do something implies
pretty clearly that it would be bad if they did. But I have no problem
with your more specific language, and as a general rule, it's good to
be specific, so let's use that.

v2 attached.

Thanks for chiming in.

--