Re: perlcritic - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: perlcritic
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 11:58 AM, Mike Blackwell <mike.blackwell@rrd.com> wrote:
> David wrote:
>> I believe there are ways to get perlcritic to keep quiet about things
>> we don't find relevant.  Maybe that's a better way to use it.
>
> There are indeed.  A .perlcriticrc file can suppress (or add) either
> individual rules or groups of rules.  I use one to ignore the ones I
> disagree with, along with the comment form to ignore specific cases.

Well, then we'd have to agree on which rules have any value; it will
probably be impossible to get consensus on that.  My suggestion for a
.perlcriticrc file will be one that ignores all of the rules and, if
there's a way to do it, causes perlcritic to uninstall itself and
leave behind a note apologizing for its existence.  :-)

In all seriousness, I'm totally fine with trying to create more
stylistic consistency among our Perl scripts, and if Peter finds
perlcritic a helpful way to get there, that's fair enough.  But for
myself, I am an inveterate perlcriticcritic.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company