Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..." - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."
Date
Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."  (Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 9:23 AM Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com> wrote:
> Attached v4 patch fixes the latest comments from Robert and Masahiko-san.

Compiler warning:

heap_surgery.c:136:13: error: comparison of unsigned expression < 0 is
always false [-Werror,-Wtautological-compare]
                if (blkno < 0 || blkno >= nblocks)
                    ~~~~~ ^ ~

There's a certain inconsistency to these messages:

rhaas=# create table foo (a int);
CREATE TABLE
rhaas=# insert into foo values (1);
INSERT 0 1
rhaas=# select heap_force_kill('foo'::regclass, array['(0,2)'::tid]);
NOTICE:  skipping tid (0, 2) because it contains an invalid offset
 heap_force_kill
-----------------

(1 row)

rhaas=# select heap_force_kill('foo'::regclass, array['(1,0)'::tid]);
ERROR:  invalid item pointer
LOCATION:  tids_same_page_fetch_offnums, heap_surgery.c:347
rhaas=# select heap_force_kill('foo'::regclass, array['(1,1)'::tid]);
ERROR:  block number 1 is out of range for relation "foo"

From a user perspective it seems like I've made three very similar
mistakes: in the first case, the offset is too high, in the second
case it's too low, and in the third case the block number is out of
range. But in one case I get a NOTICE and in the other two cases I get
an ERROR. In one case I get the relation name and in the other two
cases I don't. The two complaints about an invalid offset are phrased
completely differently from each other. For example, suppose you do
this:

ERROR: tid (%u, %u) is invalid for relation "%s" because the block
number is out of range (%u..%u)
ERROR: tid (%u, %u) is invalid for relation "%s" because the item
number is out of range for this block (%u..%u)
ERROR: tid (%u, %u) is invalid for relation "%s" because the item is unused
ERROR: tid (%u, %u) is invalid for relation "%s" because the item is dead

I think I misled you when I said to use pg_class_aclcheck. I think it
should actually be pg_class_ownercheck.

I think the relkind sanity check should permit RELKIND_MATVIEW also.

It's unclear to me why the freeze logic here shouldn't do this part
what heap_prepare_freeze_tuple() does when freezing xmax:

        frz->t_infomask2 &= ~HEAP_HOT_UPDATED;
        frz->t_infomask2 &= ~HEAP_KEYS_UPDATED;

Likewise, why should we not freeze or invalidate xvac in the case
where tuple->t_infomask & HEAP_MOVED, as heap_prepare_freeze_tuple()
would do?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company