Re: [HACKERS] shared memory based stat collector (was: Sharing recordtypmods between backends) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] shared memory based stat collector (was: Sharing recordtypmods between backends)
Date
Re: [HACKERS] shared memory based stat collector (was: Sharing record typmods between backends)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 9:59 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> In principle we could keep the existing mechanism as a fallback.
>>> Whether that's worth the trouble is debatable.  The current code
>>> in initdb believes that every platform has some type of DSM support
>>> (see choose_dsm_implementation).  Nobody's complained about that,
>>> and it certainly works on every buildfarm animal.  So for all we know,
>>> dynamic_shared_memory_type = none is broken already.
>
>> Actually, now that you mention it, I think it *is* broken already, or
>> more to the point, if you configure that value, the autovacuum
>> launcher hangs up, because of the AutovacuumWorkItem stuff that Alvaro
>> added.  When I just tested it, the AV launcher somehow ended up
>> waiting for AutovacuumLock and I had to SIGQUIT the server to shut it
>> down.
>
> Hmm, shouldn't that be an open item for v10?

I already added it.

>> ... If somebody has a system where no other form of shared
>> memory, works dynamic_shared_memory_type = mmap is still a thing, so
>> the use case for "none" seems very thin indeed.  I'd vote for just
>> ripping it out in v11.
>
> Just FYI, the only values being reported by buildfarm animals are
> "posix", "sysv", and "windows".  So while mmap may be a thing,
> it's an untested thing.

I'm pretty sure I dev-tested it before committing anything, but,
certainly, having ongoing BF coverage woudn't be a bad thing.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company