Re: Patch for fail-back without fresh backup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Patch for fail-back without fresh backup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 4:54 AM, Samrat Revagade
<revagade.samrat@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
>> On 2013-10-08 15:07:02 +0530, Pavan Deolasee wrote:

>> > There are still some parts of this design/patch which I am concerned
>> > about.
>> >
>> > 1. The design clubs synchronous standby and failback safe standby rather
>> > very tightly. IIRC this is based on the feedback you received early, so
>> > my
>> > apologies for raising it again so late.
>>
>> It is my impression that there still are several people having pretty
>> fundamental doubts about this approach in general. From what I remember
>> neither Heikki, Simon, Tom nor me were really convinced about this
>> approach.
>

> Listing down all objections and their solutions:
>
> Major Objection on the proposal:
> * Tom Lane*
> # additional complexity to the code it will cause performance overhead - On
> an average it causes 0.5 - 1% performance overhead for fast transaction
> workload, as the wait is mostly on backend process. The latest re-factored
> code, looks less complex.
> # Use of rsync with checksum - but many pages on the two servers may differ
> in their binary values because of hint bits
>
> *Heikki :*
> # Use pg_rewind to do the same:
> It has well known problem of hint bit updates.
> If we use this we need enable checksums or explicitly WAL log hint bits
> which leads to performance overhead
>
> *Amit Kapila*
> # How to take care of extra WAL on old master during recovery.?
> we can solve this by deleting all WAL file when old master before it starts
> as new standby.
>
> *Simon Riggs*
> # Renaming patch - done
> # remove extra set of parameters - done
> # performance drop - On an average it causes 0.5 - 1% performance overhead
> for fast transaction workload, as the wait is mostly on backend process.
> # The way of configuring standby - with synchronous_transfer parameter we
> can configure 4 types of standby servers depending on the need.
>
> *Fujii Masao*
> # how patch interacts with cascaded standby - patch works same as
> synchronous replication
> # CHECKPOINT in the standby, it got stuck infinitely. - fixed this
> # Complicated conditions in SyncRepWaitForLSN() – code has been refactored
> in v11
> # Improve source code comments - done
>
> *Pavan Deolasee*
>  # Interaction of synchronous_commit with synchronous_transfer - Now
> synchronous_commit only controls whether and how
>
> to wait for the standby only when a transaction commits.
> synchronous_transfer OTOH tells how to interpret the standby listed in
> synchronous_standbys parameter.
>  # Further Improvements in the documentation - we will do that
>  # More stress testing - we will do that
>
> Any inputs on stress testing would help.

The point is that when there are at least four senior community
members expressing serious objections to a concept, three of whom are
committes, we shouldn't be considering committing it until at least
some of those people have withdrawn your objections.  Nearly all patch
submitters are in favor of their own patches; that does not entitle
them to have those patches, committed even if there is a committer who
agrees with them.  There needs to be a real consensus on the path
forward.  If that policy ever changes, I have my own list of things
that are on the cutting-room floor that I'll be happy to resurrect.

Personally, I don't have a strong opinion on this patch because I have
not followed it closely enough.  But if Tom, Heikki, Simon, and Andres
are all unconvinced that this is a good direction, then put me down
for a -1 vote as well.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company