[HACKERS] parallel "return query" is no good - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject [HACKERS] parallel "return query" is no good
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Commit 7aea8e4f2daa4b39ca9d1309a0c4aadb0f7ed81b allowed a parallel
plan to be generated when for a RETURN QUERY or RETURN QUERY EXECUTE
statement in a PL/pgsql block.  As it turns out, the analysis that led
to this decision was totally wrong-headed, because the plan will
always be executed using SPI_cursor_fetch(portal, true, 50), which
will cause ExecutePlan() to get invoked with a count of 50, which will
cause it to run the parallel plan serially, without workers.
Therefore, passing CURSOR_OPT_PARALLEL_OK is a bad idea here; all it
can do is cause us to pick a parallel plan that's slow when executed
serially instead of the best serial plan.

The attached patch fixes it.  I plan to commit this and back-patch it
to 9.6, barring objections or better ideas.

I previously remarked on this in
http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmobXEhvHbJtWDuPZM9bVSLiTj-kShxQJ2uM5GPDze9fRYA@mail.gmail.com
but I wasn't quite so clear what the whole picture was in that email
as I am now.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company