Re: Simulating Clog Contention - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Simulating Clog Contention
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:18 AM, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@toroid.org> wrote:
>> At 2012-01-12 12:31:20 +0000, simon@2ndQuadrant.com wrote:
>>>
>>> The following patch adds a pgbench option -I to load data using
>>> INSERTs
>>
>> This is just to confirm that the patch applies and builds and works
>> fine (though of course it does take a long time… pity there doesn't
>> seem to be any easy way to add progress indication like -i has).
>
> I was thinking the opposite.  That -i should only print progress
> indication when -d is given.  Or at least knock an order of magnitude
> or two off of how often it does so.

I'd be in all in favor of having -i emit progress reports 10x less
often; even on a laptop, the current reports are very chatty.  But I
think 100x less often might be taking it too far.

Either way, if we're going to have an option for inserts, they should
produce the same progress reports that COPY does - though possibly
more often, since I'm guessing it's likely to be way slower.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company